When you open a new drawing, a ceiling is never automatically included. However, showing a ceiling can sometimes do much to improve an interior's atmosphere. There are two ways to place a plain ceiling: Auto expand and Manual.
Auto expand ceiling
In the Wall drawing tab, open the Ceiling settings ... dialog box:
- Click the Ceiling settings button in the Ceilings field on the Wall drawing tab.
- The Ceiling dialog box opens:
- Select the Show ceiling checkbox.
The Ceiling settings window includes additional properties to customize the behavior and appearance of the ceiling.
Solid (casts shadow): When rendered, the ceiling shows solid and will create a shadow in the image. This does not affect the appearance while in the drawing.
Auto expand: Ceiling size will grow or shrink based on the objects placed in the drawing. When this box is unchecked, The X, Y, Width, and Depth options are unlocked and can be adjusted.
Extend Ceiling: When Auto expand is checked, set a distance for the ceiling to hang over the bounds of the objects in your drawing.
Ceiling height: Enter a value for the elevation of your ceiling.
X, Y: Moves starting point of your ceiling in relation to the base point of the objects in your drawing.
Width, Depth: Enter a value to adjust the size of the ceiling.
In the Wall drawing tab, locate the Ceiling section.
- Select the Plain ceiling tool.
- Move the ceiling (in the form of a blue rectangle) into the drawing area. To place a ceiling that is the same size as the room, move the mouse pointer to the point of the intersection for the walls, and click to begin positioning:
Ceilings will snap to existing walls which can take the place of entering values for Width and Depth.
- In the properties box that appears, enter the desired values for width and depth (corresponds to the length of the walls) and confirm this by pressing the Enter key or clicking.
- You can also stretch the component manually after placement by clicking and dragging the yellow snap points.
- By selecting the Solid option in the green properties box that appears when selecting a ceiling in the drawing area, all light will be blocked, including sunlight. This can be useful for realistic rendering purposes.