The Layer tab reads the selected product’s symbol layer(s). This is essential as you will need to link the layer to material. The tab will be empty if there is no symbol link to the product yet. Same thing, link the layer to product by dragging and dropping it to the Product Tree View. Layer(s) that is not linked to any material will be indicated by a red unlinked icon ()in the Layers Tree View and layer(s) that has been linked to material will be indicated by a green linked icon (). Layer that is used in application area will be identified by a yellow icon (). However, if the layer is linked again to a product/feature, the yellow icon will be overwritten with green linked icon.
There is an advance tool to help distinguishing layers; details can be found in Show Active Layer Button.
Advanced: Show Active Layer Button
Click this button to highlight the active layer selected in Layers tab in 3D Preview window. Selected layer will shows its original symbol colour (before material mapping) or mapped material colour (after material mapping). The non-selected layer will be shown in transparent blue. This is a great tool to distinguish layers within a product.
* Please note that the filter in the models tab does not work recursively.
* The linking of layers to product can also be done via Navigator tool.
- Select you product from Product List.
- Go to Layers
- Identify the active layer by clicking the Show Active Layer Button in Preview windows to tell which layer belongs to.
- Change product previews, if desi by double clicking the selection option indicated by eye icon () to load symbols to 2D/3D Preview
- Set Navigator tool to show only Product, Material Application, Features and Options.
- Look for NestedFeatureCode feature in Navigator
- Select or multi select layers to drop to the feature you want.
- You will now see seven layers with empty materials added to NestedFeatureCode.
- Create a static later-material link for Black Background, Handles, Square Leg 1, Square Leg 2 and Square Leg 3 layers using Application Areas feature in Project Directory
- Go to Project Directory tab, click to Create Application Area.
- Create a static later-material link as below.