To structure the layout of a paper in Paper View, the Help Grid can come in very handy. It enables you to place a grid of of any size and set the number of rows and columns. All components in the Tools (paper) and Drawing (paper) tab can then snap to the sides of the grid.
Placing a help grid
To add a Help Grid, follow these steps:
- Go to the Tools (paper) component tab in Paper View and click the Help Grid component in the Tools section:
- Move the cursor to the paper. A rectangle follows.
- Click once on the paper to set the starting point for the Help Grid.
- Move the cursor diagonally across the paper and click when the grid reaches the desired size. A grid with two columns and two rows is now visible on the paper and a properties box is displayed in the top left corner where you can adjust the settings as described below.
Help grid settings
After placing a Help Grid on a paper, it can be adjusted in multiple ways. Click the outer edge to select the grid and to access the properties box in the top left corner:
The following settings are available:
- Dot style: Hide the grid lines and to only show dots where columns and rows intersect.
- Simple snapping: Makes it possible to just snap components to intersecting points in the Help grid. When unchecked, components will snap to any part of any line ("on edge") on the grid.
- Show divider (1): Select the checkbox if you want to control the number of rows and columns in the grid. Choose the desired number of rows and columns in the drop-down menu. The grid will automatically divide the sections evenly. The grid will automatically divide the sections evenly and will change size if the grid is stretched.
- Show divider (2): Select the checkbox if you want to add a secondary grid. Choose the desired number of rows and columns in the drop-down menu. The grid will automatically divide the sections evenly and will change size if the grid is stretched.
- Show real: Select the checkbox if you want to control the size of each section. The section size is based on the distance unit you have selected in the Region tab of the Control Panel. The size will not change based on the size of the grid.
- Line color: Click the icon to choose color of the grid lines.