The Text tool is used to place text in the drawing. It can be manually changed at any time and will appear on the printout. To add text to the drawing area, follow these steps:
- Select the Text tool from the Tools component tab.
- Click once to set the first corner of the text box into the desired position in the 2D drawing view.
- In the input box that appears, set the desired text box properties, or move your cursor to set the dimensions of the text box.
- Left-click once more to finish placing the text box.
The text box can be moved, stretched and rotated just like other components.
- The Text dialog box opens. Here you can compose the text you would like to see in the drawing. The text box can contain up to 30 000 characters.
- You have three ways to finish using the Text tool:
- OK: Adds text to drawing and closes the Text editor box.
- Apply: Shows text in drawing but leaves Text editor open.
- Cancel: Closes Text editor and does not save edited text in drawing. The text box does remain in the drawing view, but the contents of the text will not change if you choose Cancel.
In the File menu, there are a few options that can make text re-usable and easy to share.
New: Clear all text from the Text editor to start over.
Open: Load a saved text (.txt) into the Text editor.
Save: Save the text as a .txt file if you expect to use it again. You can also share this .txt file with others if you have shared text that needs to appear in all drawings.
Email: Creates an email draft with the text from the Text editor in the body of the email.
To prevent typos, you can enable automatic spell checking and autocorrection for the Text tool. These tools support all languages currently available for Microsoft Windows.
To use the spell checking options, go to the Options menu and select the corresponding check boxes:
Check spelling now: Initiates spell check to find and highlight incorrectly spelled words with a red squiggly line if the Automatic spell check option has been re-checked.
Automatic spell check: When checked, the red squiggly line will automatically appear under words that are spelled incorrectly. Un-checking will ignore all spelling errors.
Autocorrect spelling: Works in conjunction with spell check to correct errors in the text.
Right-clicking on a word underlined in red will bring up alternatives from the dictionary:
Editing The Text
To edit the text, select the text box and select desired options in the input box that appears:
Auto adjust: Determines the relationship between the text and the bounding box.
- None keeps the size of the box manually placed in the drawing and the text font size follows what is set in the Text Style section of the properties box.
- Adjust font size adjusts the size of the text to fit inside the box. or to
- Adjust box to text changes the box height to fit the text. Adjusting the box un-wraps any text so that all paragraphs fit on one line.
Adjust height: Decide how the text should be aligned vertically in the box.
- Top: Align the text to the top of the text box.
- Center: Align the text to the center of the text box.
- Bottom: Align the text to the bottom of the text box.
- Adjusted: Space lines of the text to the same height as the text box.Format: Decide how the text shall be positioned in the text box.
Alignment: Decide how the text should be aligned horizontally in the box.
- Left: The beginning of each line of text is in line on the left of the text box.
- Center: The center of each line of text is in-line vertically.
- Right: The end of each line of text is in line on the right of the text box.
- Justify: Space between all the text varies so that the width matches that of the text box.
Elevation: Arrange order of 2D shapes in the drawing view.
2D Position: Show 2D shapes in front of or behind other objects in the 2D drawing view.
Short text: Displays the beginning of text in the text box. If you have entered a short text in the text box and would like to do small modifications, you can edit the text in the Short text input field.
Text editor: Click the "..." in this line to open the Text dialog where you can edit the content of the text.
Fill Background: Check this box to make the background a solid color.
Background color: Click this box to change the color of the fill.
Custom margins: Check this box to expand options to adjust the margins on the left, right, top, or bottom of the text box.
Text Style: Use drop-down to select a pre-defined style or click Edit to customize Font, Font Height, Font color, and more. Choose between different text styles that you create in the Style Editor.
Line Style: Add a border to your text box. Use drop-down to select a pre-defined style or click Edit to customize Width (thickness), type (solid, dashed, etc.), and more. Choose between different line styles that you can create in the Style Editor.