Spreadsheets can be imported into CET Designer with the Load spreadsheet tool found in the Tools component tab in both the drawing view and the Paper View:
To import a spreadsheet, follow these steps:
- Click the Load spreadsheet tool, release the mouse button, and move the cursor to the 2D drawing view. Click where you would like your spreadsheet to be placed.
- Escape the tool by moving the cursor outside of the drawing area or by pressing the Esc key on your keyboard.
- Double-click the frame. An Open dialog opens.
- Browse for the spreadsheet that you wish to import, select it and click Open to show the spreadsheet in the 2D drawing view.
When selected, you can do some basic formatting from the properties box.
- Sheet selection: Control which sheet of the spreadsheet is displayed.
- Row From/Row To; Column From/Column To: Determine which rows and columns you would like to see from your spreadsheet.
- Edit data...: Creates and opens a temporary Excel file to edit the contents of the spreadsheet.*
- Refresh data: Once you save changes to the temporary Excel file, Refresh data will sync the spreadsheet in CET Designer to reflect the changes.
*When you use the Edit data… button you are not not editing the original spreadsheet, but rather a temporary file. Once you are done editing, click the Refresh data button in the properties box to re-import the edited spreadsheet from the temporary file. If you have made changes to the original Excel file that you want reflected, simply double-click on the spreadsheet to return to the Open dialog where you can find the file to bring back in.
The import feature will go through and try to handle everything in the spreadsheet, which can make it slow. We therefore recommend cleaning the spreadsheet by removing images and empty cells before importing it.