Do you have an image you need to place in your 2D drawing space or Paper View? Have you received a PDF file with a base plan that you need to use? The Load image tool can import both image files (.jpg or .png) and PDFs alike.
Drag-and-drop an image from your File Explorer into the drawing area in CET, or follow these steps:
- Go to the Tools component tab.
- Under Image and Text, select the Load Image component.
- Move the cursor to the drawing area. An image component is now attached to the cursor.
- Place the frame in one of two ways:
Left-click once to set a starting point, then move the cursor until the frame is the desired size (without holding down the mouse button) and click once to set the ending point.
Click-and-drag the frame to make it the desired size.
- Release the component by moving the cursor outside of the drawing area or pressing Esc on your keyboard.
- Double-click the frame. An Open dialog appears.
- Browse for the desired image or PDF file, select the file and click Open. Alternately, you can drag a file from your computer and drop it within the frame.
- Images will be loaded immediately. If you are loading a PDF, the PDF import window opens:
- In the PDF import window, you can choose to place an entire page of the PDF, or click Images at the top to select an individual image from a page. Click to select the content that you wish to import, and then click the Insert button, or double-click on the page or image.
You can click Load PDF to select a different file, or if you're done, close the PDF import dialog window.
Select the image/page to bring up the green properties box where you have the following options:
- Lock position: Locks the image’s position to prevent it from being moved accidentally.
- Keep aspect: Locks the aspect ratio of the image; preventing it from getting distorted when stretched.
- Show in 3D view: Shows the image as a flat surface in the 3D drawing view.
- Elevation: Height above the floor.
- 2D Position: Set the image visibility in the 2D drawing view. Front means that it will always be on top, while Back will set the image behind all other 2D objects.
- Brightness: Increases or decreases the brightness in the imported image in the 2D drawing view.
- Measure and scale: Set the scale for drawings that you have imported as images.
- Activate 2D: When checked, you can snap certain tools (lines, walls, dimensions, etc.) to some lines within the image.
- Supported file formats for images are: bmp, gif, tif, jpeg, pdf and png. CET supports image transparency as seen in the .png and .gif image formats.
- You can easily change the image within the frame by dragging a file from your computer and dropping it onto the inserted component.
- A similar tool can be used for walls, or just to place images vertically in 3D. Use the Image on wall tool from the Wall drawing component tab and double-click it in the 3D view to bring up the PDF import dialog where you can follow the steps described above. This tool snaps to walls or can be placed freely in the 3D drawing view.
Using dimensions with the Image component
Adding dimensions to an imported image, you will notice that they behave differently depending on the status of the image component.
- If the Activate 2D option in the quick properties box is deactivated (default), dimensions will only snap to the border of the image component:
- If the Activate 2D option in the quick properties box is activated, dimensions will also detect and snap to 2D lines within the image border: