Using the Data field tool, choose the information that you would like to be displayed.
The Data field can be used in two different ways:
- As a tool to simplify insertion of frequently used text.
- As a cross-reference. It is possible to tie filed variables to a certain dialog box where project data has been filled in. Note that the project information dialog is only available in certain extensions, or you must have the Project Information extension.
The tool is available in the Tools component tab in the drawing view or in the Text section of the Tools (paper) tab in Paper View:
On a sheet in Paper View, such as page number, project name, sales person, etc. The field will be updated with the relevant information on each page.
Data field tool in the Tools (paper) tab in Paper View
Data field tool in the tab in the drawing view
Placing data fields
To insert dynamic text and assign text variables, follow these steps:
- Select the Data field from the Tools component tab in the drawing view or in the Text section of the Tools (paper) tab in Paper View.
- Click twice to set the box on the page. The Select a field variable dialog box appears.
Select a field variable button
- Select the desired variable in the Select a field variable dialog box. A field appears to the right.
- Here, the behavior differs slightly depending on how you use the Data field tool:
- Enter the variable value in the field to the right and choose Close. The next time you wish to insert the same variable, it has already been defined. At that point, just select the variable and click the Close button.
- If you have already defined the variable value in a project information dialog, the information is shown and all you need to do is to click the Close button. Continue placing new placeholder boxes and assigning the different project variables that you want displayed in the drawing.
Once placed, a Data field behaves as any other text field. It can be moved, stretched, and rotated just like other objects. In the green properties box, define the style of the text using a predefined Style or click Edit to determine it's appearance.
Special Interaction with Order Notes
Let's say my Order Notes for Project Information looks like this:
Depending on what you have selected in the Select a field variable dialog, the data field shows these Order Notes in a different way.
Selecting either Top Note or Shipping Note will show all the notes in sequence, skipping fields that are empty:
Selecting a specific Top Note or Shipping Note will only show that specific note: