With the Radius dimension tool, you can measure the radius of circular shapes and objects in the 2D view or your drawing. In the example below, we’ll measure a circular column.
To use this tool, follow these steps:
- Go to the Tools component tab and select the Radius dimension tool:
- Move the cursor to the 2D drawing view. In the quick properties box in the top left corner of the view, the Associative checkbox is activated and the object you snap the dimension to is highlighted in blue. The radius is instantly calculated and displayed:
- Click once to attach the dimension.
- To place more dimension, repeat step 3.
- When you are finished, press the Esc key or move the cursor off the drawing area to release the tool.
Editing a radius dimension
When a dimension is selected in the drawing, the yellow stretch nodes can be used to adjust the dimension or the placement of the text.
- Click the yellow snap point and use it as a rotation point to change the placement of the dimension. Moving the cursor up or down along the dimension line will reposition the dimension text.
The small, blue dot at the top of the dimension line indicates that the dimension is associative.
Radius dimension properties
For each dimension you can change its properties from the property box. Each dimension type has different sets of properties. To change them, select the dimension in 2D or 3D to bring up the quick properties box. This one is for a radius dimension:
- Text Style: Define the appearance of the text or customize by expanding Edit.
- Dimension Style: Define the appearance of your dimension or customize by expanding Edit.
- Line Style: Define the appearance of your line or customize by expanding Edit.
- Fill background: Check this box to make the background a solid color.
- Background color: Click this box to change the color of the fill.
Local changes to the currently used styles will not affect the Styles you have created in the Style Editor.
General behavior of associative radius dimensions
If your radius dimension is an associative dimension, do note that:
- Clicking and moving the yellow stretch point along the dimension line will not actually re-associate the dimension. To do so, you must click and move the 'R' or the dimension text.
Please sign in to leave a comment.