Using the Linear replicate tool, you can replicate a selected object linearly starting at a chosen point.
To use this tool, follow these steps:
- Go to the Tools component tab and select the Linear replicate tool:
- In the drawing area, either in the 2D view or 3D view, hover with the cursor over the component that you want to replicate. To replicate the component starting from a custom point, verify that the Pick start point option is selected in the property box. To replicate the component starting from itself, verify that the Pick start point option is deselected instead.
- Click to select the component.
- Start moving the cursor and use the green properties box to specify your placement. The following options are available in the property box:
Quantity: The total number of copies you want in the drawing.
Total length: The distance between which all your copies will fit, from the beginning of your first object to the end of your last copy.
Angle: The angle of the replication line. Use your arrow keys to lock a 0, 90, 180, or 270 degree angle.
Stack angle: The angle of the components when stacking them on the Z axis. 90 degrees means that the copies are placed vertically on top of one another; 270 degrees that they are placed vertically underneath one another.
Rotation of copies: Enables rotation of each copy on the replication line.
Cascade rotation: Select the checkbox to cumulatively apply the rotation angle to the copies.
Gap: The distance between the copies. Works in combination with Gap type.
Gap type: Let you choose one of the following:
- Edge to edge: Distance between the edges of each copy.
- To next: Distance from the starting point of one object to the starting point of each new copy.
- Total length: Distance from the start of the first object to the end of the second copy.
Edge to edge To next Total lengthPay attention to what is locked or unlocked. Changing a certain value may unlock another value if it contradicts what was previously locked.Lock gap to axis: When deselected (default), the gap between the copies is measured along the line in which the copies are replicated. When selected, the gap is instead measured along the closest X/Y axis.
Keep elevation: Select this checkbox if you want the elevation of the referenced object to be applied to subsequent copies.
- Click once or press Enter to finalize the placement.
- Press Esc or move the mouse pointer outside of the drawing area to release the tool.