Main Release (May 18, 2020)
News & Changes
Introducing View Clips
- 2D Viewports are replaced by completely new tools called View Clips.
This change is introduced for multiple reasons:
- The new View clip tools allow us to more effectively utilize the power of your graphics card, leading to improved performance.
- View clips support different shapes beyond basic squares and rectangles.
- View clips can be rotated 360 degrees.
- View clips can be modified by attaching various Add-ons to them. For this release, six built-in add-ons are currently available.
- There are two versions of the View Clip 2D:
Placing a View Clip 2D will prompt you to pick which area of your drawing should be displayed within the clip. Placing a View Clip 2D Empty will serve as a placeholder; enabling you to prepare your layout and choose the content at a later stage.
- As part of trying to further improve performance in Paper View, we have also simplified the thumbnail graphics for papers, as these could be very demanding on performance when Viewports contained detailed DWGs.
CAD Settings Dialog Updates
- The CAD Settings dialog has been given an overhaul and refreshed UI:
On the left you will find a newly added list of all DWG files that have been imported into your drawing. This list is separated into DWG objects that have only been imported (bottom half), and those that are inserted into the drawing (top half).
This means that CET Designer now supports importing DWG files without having to immediately place them into your drawing area. However, please note that only imported DWG files that have been placed in the drawing area are saved with the drawing.
Each imported DWG file has a set of tools:
From the left, these tools are:
Locate DWG in drawing Reload DWG Remove DWG
- Two new import Settings presets have been added to make it easier to pick the right settings when importing a DWG file into CET Designer, depending on what type of object you wish to import:
You can also save and name your own custom settings for later reuse, or sharing with others.
- To give you a better overview, we have restructured the layout for most of the other CAD settings in the dialog:
Please note that the Embed Cad file in drawing option has been moved up to the File section of the dialog, and is now enabled by default.
- The old scale indicator has been replaced with a Size preview, designed for improved clarity.
New Tools and Options for CAD Export
- The Export Cad dialog (dwg/dxf) has a couple of new tools and features available:
- DWG export now includes imported images, placed photos from Photo Lab, and 3D Viewports.
- You now have more detailed control over your DWG Export, as the Filter settings now support selecting a specific View mode to export.
- Export filled shapes is a new option under the Advanced settings. When enabled, filled shapes as exported as solid hatches:
Standardizing and Simplifying Categories
- One of the steps taken to help facilitate a standardization and simplification of Categories is to gather all basic categories into one group in the Categorization dialog, called CET Designer:
Each manufacturer has the option of migrating some, or all, of their unique categories to matching core CET Designer categories, to avoid flooding the list of categories with (seemingly) duplicate entries.
Though these changes should all be handled automatically, we still recommend that you check the latest information from your respective manufacturers to learn more of how this might affect your work.
- A new Category has also been added for Tagging rectangles and Custom shape tags; the Area tag category which can be used when creating custom view modes to make area tags visible without having to use the Tags view mode.
Revision Cloud Changes
- The old Revision cloud is now a Revision cloud lasso tool for quickly circling objects or areas you want to mark:
- As can also be seen in the image above, two new shape options have been added for placing Revision clouds; Circle and Rectangle.
New Measure Tool in Quick Properties
- A new tool for measuring has been added to all quick property fields that contain measurements; such as height/length/distance etc. The ruler icon will be displayed when you hover with the cursor above a measurement field.
Starting the tool will let you measure any distance, and will then automatically update the field with the measured value:
You could for example use this to match the length of one wall with another.
New functionality: Auto-tagging
- A new tool, Auto-Tagging, has been added to both the 2D and the 3D toolbars:
While enabled, this tool lets you pick one or more Part tags that will automatically be applied to all objects placed thereafter, same as if you had tagged those objects using the Tag individually tool.
Detailed Tooltips and Examiner Tool
- A new tool has been added to all toolbars; Detailed tooltips enables the display of more detailed tooltip information for objects in the drawing/paper views.
Either use the icon in the toolbar or the “i” keyboard shortcut to enable/disable showing of detailed tooltip information:
- A new tool has been added to the Tools menu; the Examiner can show the same information as the Detailed tooltips, but also comes with a set of tools on its own – such as highlighting the examined object, locating it on the drawing, or filtering what data is shown about the examined object.
New Tools for Favorites
- New options are now available when saving Favorites, under the Advanced Settings.
These let you control placement behavior by selecting which object or point should be centered under the cursor during placement.
- The basic Scheme dialog has been overhauled and given a new appearance for the Fika and Storage Extensions. As part of this update we are also converting the old Wall settings dialog into the same style Scheme dialog. We hope this will make it easier to work with Wall settings going forward.
- Objects from the Walls tab, and the Fika Extension, now have a More Properties button at the bottom of their quick properties box. This button will open their respective settings dialogs for further options including tools for propagating the settings to other objects.
- The Move Walls only when wall drawing is selected setting has been moved out from the newly revamped Wall Settings dialog and is now available directly in the Walls component tab instead.
- The Skip left/right choice when inserting free standing option has been removed as part of the Wall Settings overhaul. The option is still available from the quick properties box when inserting walls.
- Please keep in mind that schemes created using old versions of these dialogs have to be reimported to be used in the new version.
Advanced Selection Tool
- A new tool has been added to the Tools menu: Advanced Selection.
From this dialog you can select one or more objects based on Categories/Part Tagging/Levels/Part Numbers, or combinations thereof.
The dialog also remembers the last five selections you made, allowing for easy reselection of these objects. You can also pin a specific selection to keep it in the list.
This tool can also be found as a part of the newly revamped Scheme dialog for Fika, Storage and Walls.
- We have reduced the number of columns enabled by default in the Calculation This is done to reduce wasted space and ensure all column headers fit on a printed page.
Expanded Options for Leader with Text
- The Leader with Text tool in Paper View has a new option to switch the leader line between Straight and Curved, allowing for choosing between a more stylized or engineering-style look.
Colored Tags View Mode
- A new option has been added for your custom view mode settings; you can now enable the new Colored Tags view mode to see Part Tag colors without having to keep the Part Tagging dialog open.
New Level Editing Tools
- Stretch Levels: A new tool for stretching and moving levels can now be found in the Architectural component tab:
This new tool has two functionalities; one for moving levels vertically (with or without moving the levels above) and one for stretching levels horizontally. You can switch between the two functions of the tool from its quick properties box, after starting the tool:
Use the space key to toggle between these two options.
- Cutout option: during placement of a custom level, there is now an option in the quick properties box; enabling instant creation of a cutout:
- Slightly improved look of leader lines in both Paper View and regular 2D view.
- Fixed problem with creation of Alternatives that would cause Grouped objects to lose their grouping, and objects with a locked position to lose the lock.
- Fixed problem with drivers from the KIP printer manufacturer, that would cause text resources to go missing in CET Designer, and in worse cases cause outright crashes due to interference from the drivers.
- Fixed problem with Paper View, that could cause filled dimension arrow heads to become empty when a Viewport was set to Black and White.
- Fixed problem with Paper View, that could cause the outline of objects placed underneath other objects to not print.
- Fixed problem with Paper view, that could cause Leader with Text to snap to itself when trying to snap it to a 3D Viewport.
- Fixed problem with 2D View ports that could cause some texts to be incorrectly repositioned during print/print preview.
- Fixed problem when exporting through Revlink, that could cause objects to not retain correct positions.
- Fixed problem with CAD export and text with the Always readable option enabled, that could result in text not being properly rotated in the resulting CAD file.
- Fixed problem when forcing a DWG layer to use a different color, that could cause the change to not be retained.
- Fixed problem with very long DWG layer names, that would cause the text to overlap the checkbox next to the name field.
- Fixed problem with ellipse arcs for imported DWG objects, that could cause the arcs to be drawn incorrectly in CET Designer.
- Fixed problem with some objects in DWG files that could cause the import into CET Designer to fail.
- Fixed problem that would cause DWG lines to disappear from Viewports if a hatch pattern layer was turned on.
- Fixed problem with Characters, that caused model parts to use incorrect naming in the quick properties when trying to apply materials.
- Fixed problem with Characters, that would prevent them from switching back to Standard after changing the color in the quick properties.
- Fixed problem with Measure and Scale tool for imported images that could cause the measurement line to not disappear once rescaling was done.
- Fixed problem with the Batch Material Converter that would cause it to not respect image rotation settings for JPG image files.
- Fixed problem with the CRM connect Extension that would generate script error warnings when attempting to connect to Salesforce.
- Fixed problem with switching between 2D view and Paper View that would cause the view to not remember the last used camera position – making it look as if the view had been moved.
- Fixed problem with Catalogue objects where changing their elevation could cause them to incorrectly show on top of other objects in 2D.
- Fixed problem with Blocks, that would incorrectly enable the Clone block command for blocks that had only one instance.
- Fixed problem with rendering of Contour image for users with AMD or Intel graphics in their computer, that could lead to contour renders showing as black.
- Fixed problem with loading Levels saved as a Favorite that would cause all levels to be renamed to Level 1.
- Fixed issue with the Photo Lab, that could cause a crash if the dialog was closed before it had fully opened.
- Fixed issue with Material Lab that could cause a crash when viewing folders containing hundreds of GM material files.
- Fixed issue with Lasso selection tool, that could cause a crash when started using the keyboard shortcut.
- Fixed issue with Virtual Viewer that could cause a crash when clicking on the Settings button.
- Fixed issue with Alternatives that could cause a crash when the last alternative was removed.
- Fixed issue with Custom Shapes that could cause a crash when the Line Style was set to No Line.
- Added support for importing SIF and OFDA purchase orders to a picklist.
- Imported options to the freeform section can be exported to Excel and .xml format.
- Imported options to the freeform section can be exported to Excel and .xml format.
- Added support for being able to type in part numbers in the Picklist, this will filters based on the browsing area of the currently selected Catalogue.
Batch Material Converter
- We have added an option to skip converted gm files during the start of material conversion.
- Also added is a control to filter file name in the source directory.
- To open completed gm files in the Material lab simply check the Show only Converted checkbox, multi-select the materials you want, and then click Open selected in Material Lab.
Catalogue Tool Bugfixes
- Fixed problem with some objects being shown on top of other objects in the 2D view, even though they were fully beneath them in 3D.
- Fixed problem with the Show only contour lines in 2D setting not always correctly updating the views when turned on or off.
- Fixed problem with the Symbol replace dialog that would cause it to not update its contents to include newly placed objects.
- Fixed problem Characters that would cause them to not always properly switch materials when changed from the Quick property box.
- Fixed problem with using Tab and Spacebar keys to navigate though a Quick property box that would sometimes cause the highlight for where in you are in the Quick property box to not update correctly.
- Fixed problem with the Calculation dialog not always updating contents when options were changed in the COM dialog for Catalogue objects.
- Fixed problem with the Catalogue details dialog that could sometimes cause the right-hand side panel to disappear when opening the dialog.
- Fixed problem with Catalogue browser that could cause it to claim a catalogue was embedded even when it was not.
- Fixed problem with finish summary that could cause display of duplicate category names.
- Fixed problem with missing listed material in material legend when looked through a locked 2D Viewport in the Paper view.
- Fixed problem that could cause the Catalogue Explorer to freeze for a long time when clicking on the top level if you had a lot of Catalogues installed.
- Fixed problem with the Product info pane in Catalogue explorer not displaying price when a non-USD currency was selected.
- Fixed problem with not being able to remove bookmarks in the Catalogue explorer if they referred to Catalogues that are no longer available.
- Fixed problem with inserting objects from a picklist that could cause options to revert.
- Fixed problem with the right click menu that could cause it to stay open even when focus is moved elsewhere, if opened from the Catalogue explorer.
- Fixed problem with adding of Catalogue data to SketchUp objects that could cause dimension units to show incorrectly in the Calculation dialog.
- Fixed issue that could cause a background crash when opening the Catalogue explorer.
- Fixed issue that could cause a crash when using the Symbol replace option.