The bottom part of the Movie Editor is dedicated to the timeline with related tools and playback controls. These are explained in detail below the overview.
Right-clicking on a clip on the timeline brings up the following options: Clips that are selected in the Clip Collection are available on the timeline in the same order of appearance. You can change the clip order either in the Clip Collection, or by dragging them to the desired position on the timeline.
- Delete: Removes the clip from the timeline. Note that it remains in the clip collection but is un-checked and can be re-included in the timeline by drag n’ drop or by checking the box in the Clip Collection.
- Restore: If you have trimmed a clip this option will restore it to its original length.
- Rename: Specify the name of the clip, which will be displayed in the Clip Collection and on the timeline.
Note that the time interval displayed depends on the zoom level chosen for the timeline.
The tools available are, from the left:
- Undo: Reverse actions in the Movie Editor, one action a time. The only actions that cannot be undone are setting a new save location and removing a clip from the clip collection.
- Redo: Redo an undone action in the Movie Editor, one action a time. The only actions that cannot be redone are setting a new save location and removing a clip from the clip collection.
- Trim: With this tool, you can trim scenes, i.e. cut out segments of the clips along the timeline. For more information, please see the Playhead paragraph below.
- Zoom in/out: Refers to the time intervals in the timeline, NOT the view of the camera. See smaller increments of time for more control when zoomed in (Figure A); see a broader view of the timeline when zoomed out (Figure B).
Figure A: Zoomed in
Figure B: Zoomed out
The playback controls below the movie preview are, from the left:
- Previous clip: Jumps to the beginning of the previous clip.
- Rewind: Goes backward 1 second at a time.
- Play / Stop playback: Starts / stops the playback.
- Fast forward: Goes forward 1 second at a time.
- Next clip: Jumps to the beginning of the next clip.
The time indicator shows time elapsed / total time. The time elapsed is displayed in the format minutes / seconds / frames.
During playback, the playhead moves along the timeline to indicate the current position. Using the playback controls described above will move the playhead accordingly. You can also click and move the playhead manually along the timeline to view your scenes.
The playhead has a left and a right marker. By pulling either of them, the playhead will split, thus letting you make a selection on the timeline. When you have a selected region, as shown below, you can click the play button, which then limits the playback to the selected region.
Use the trim tool at this point to cut out the selected region from the clip:
To deselect the section, double click on the middle of the larger playhead marker to bring it back together again.