The bottom part of the Movie Editor is dedicated to the timeline with related tools and playback controls.
Clips that are checked in the Clip Collection on the left-hand side of the Movie Editor are available on the timeline in the same order of appearance. You can change the clip order either in the Clip Collection, or by dragging them to the desired position on the timeline. Right-click to select a clip on the timeline to bring up the following options:
- Delete: Removes the clip from the timeline. Note that it remains in the clip collection but is un-checked and can be re-included in the timeline by drag n’ drop or by checking the box in the Clip Collection. (This differs from removing clips from the Clip Collection - deleting from the Collection will delete the camera in the drawing entirely.)
- Restore: If you have trimmed a clip this option will restore it to its original length.
- Rename: Specify the name of the clip, which will be displayed in the Clip Collection and on the timeline.
Note that the time interval displayed depends on the zoom level chosen for the timeline.
The tools available are:
- Undo: Reverse actions in the Movie Editor, one action a time. The only actions that cannot be undone are setting a new save location and removing a clip from the Clip Collection.
- Redo: Redo an undone action in the Movie Editor, one action a time. The only actions that cannot be redone are setting a new save location and removing a clip from the Clip Collection.
- Trim: With this tool, you can trim scenes, i.e. cut out segments of the clips along the timeline. For more information, please see the Playhead paragraph below.
- Zoom in / out: Refers to the time intervals in the timeline, NOT the view of the camera. See smaller increments of time for more control when zoomed in (Figure A); see a broader view of the timeline when zoomed out (Figure B).
Figure A: Zoomed in
Figure B: Zoomed out
The playback controls below the movie preview are:
- Previous clip: Jumps to the beginning of the previous clip.
- Rewind: Goes backward one second at a time.
- Play / Stop playback: Starts / stops the preview of the movie.
- Fast forward: Goes forward one second at a time.
- Next clip: Jumps to the beginning of the next clip.
The time indicator shows time elapsed and the total time. The time elapsed is displayed as minutes / seconds / frames.
During playback, the needle moves along the timeline to indicate the current position. Using the playback controls described above will move the needle accordingly. You can also click-and-drag to move the needle manually along the timeline to view your scenes.
The needle has a left and a right handle. By pulling either of them, the needle will split, thus letting you make a selection on the timeline. When you have selected a region, as shown below, you can click the play button, which then limits the playback to the selected region.
Use the trim tool at this point to cut out the selected region from the clip:
To deselect the section, double click on the middle of the needle to bring both handles back together again.