The Chain dimension tool makes it easier to rapidly measure several successive distances and display a running total of the distance.
To use the Chain dimension tool, follow these steps:
- Select the Chain Dimension tool on the Tools component tab.
- Click to set the starting point for your first measurement.
- Move the mouse pointer to the next point you want to dimension and click.
- Click to determine the height of the dimension line.
- Keep clicking until you have measured all desired distances.
- Move the cursor off the drawing area or press the Esc key to release the chain dimension tool.
Chain dimension properties
Change properties from the green properties box:
Properties for the Chain dimension tool
- Text display: Lets you decide how the dimension and/or text should be displayed.
- Line length: Increase or decrease the line height of the dimension line.
- Text rotated: Rotate the text showing the segment dimensions by 90 degrees.
- Text Style: Define the appearance of the text or customize by expanding Edit. Create and edit your own Styles from the Style Editor.
- Dimension Style: Define the appearance of your dimension or customize by expanding Edit. Create and edit your own Styles from the Style Editor.
- Fill background: Show color behind the text of the dimensions.
- Line Style: Define the appearance of your line or customize by expanding Edit. Create and edit your own Styles from the Style Editor.
- Display dimensions: Select which dimension text to show in your chain dimension:
- All = dimension of each segment and running total of all segments
- Main = only dimension of each segment
- Side = only running total shown on the side lines of each segment
- None = no dimension text shown