From 11.5 and forward, we will use a new branching structure in git. Which branch of core you want to use in 11.5 depends on your purpose.
Beta Branch - version/version number/beta
- Contains code to the Public RC/Beta box.
- Use this for migration or testing for the next release version
Official Branch - version/version number/official
- Contains code to the officially released code (after release)
- Use this branch if you want to test against what the user is actually using
Patch Branch - version/version number/patchX
- This branch holds the code for the specified patch X once it's available in a publicly shared BETA box.
- For majors, just use