What Is It?
The opportunity for your extension to get the latest features and bugfixes which requires everyone's cooperation to get it working!
There are some features and changes made in the latest version of CET which require partners to harmonize along in order to get that sweet high-quality end-user experience.
All Extensions are required to perform migration before the Core’s major release. Some of the changes in Core that have been made in the new release version will affect your Extension. And it is crucial to make those adjustments to represent the changes in Core. It is optional to migrate during minor releases.
One of the main reasons why Core does these releases yearly is for a better user experience by improving usability, accessibility, and efficiency. We always strive to keep the users happy! Therefore, migration done by partners is about upgrading to that level of the CET platform which gives users a better overall experience on their Extension.
When it comes to migration, the earlier the better for both partners and Configura. Their Extension will be more efficient and less prone to bugs that are caused by the migration process. For Configura, we will get a better test coverage and make sure that all partner's Extensions are on track during their release.
Effects of Not Migrating in Time
After the migration process, your QA (Quality Assurance) should go through extensive testing on the latest version to discover Core and Extension bugs as early as possible. So if the migration process is not performed or delayed, there are a couple of issues you may face.
- If you do not migrate on time, the changes that have been made in the base class will affect your Extension due to its dependency.
For example, let us say you have a class in your Extension that is extending from a Snapper class and you have an overridden method. In the new upcoming version, a new parameter has been added to that specific method in the Snapper class. So now when you try to run your own Extension with the newest Core version, you will face a compilation error because your method that you have overridden does not refer to the superclass method anymore, which will lead to CET not starting up!
A compilation error will occur if your canDance() method in the Snowman class does not adjust to the Snapper class.
- If your Extension isn't available on the latest version:
- It will be difficult for your QA team to check if Core changes has broken your Extension.
- It means your RC build will not be available in the Build Center; therefore, both your QA and Configura cannot test! If they cannot test, the chances for your Extension having new bugs on release will increase. So it is always strongly advised for partners to let your QA do a proper test to avoid new bug tickets bombarding their way.
- Due to the delay or not doing the migration, it means that there is a possibility that your Extension will not be released on time. That means Configura's QA won't be able to perform a live update test (test done after release).
- If the migration process is delayed, both your and Configura QA will not be able to test properly which may cause various new bugs to appear on your Extension when the CET version is released.
- In the worst-case scenario, if you do not meet the deadline of the migration process and the 2 weeks release window (2 weeks after the release date), the Extension license may get suspended! The reason is to prevent users from not being able to update their CET after the Core release.